Monday, October 13, 2008

My Grandpa Curtis

Andrew Jay Curtis 5/16/1928 ~ 10/6/2008 Andrew Jay Curtis passed away in Vancouver, WA after a long battle with cancer. Andy was born in Salt Lake City, Utah. His father (Vasillios Kourinakis) was born in Crete (Greece) and changed his name to William Kouris and later to Curtis. His mother, Ilse Wesche Curtis was born in Germany. His sister Hellen Nypower lives in West Jordan, UT. Andy attended Horace Mann Jr. where he was a Concert Master Violinist, and West High in Salt Lake, graduating in 1945 as a Company C Commander in the ROTC. As a young man he worked at Airport #2 to pay for flying lessons - being one of only 300 pilots to have soloed by age 16 in the US. He also delivered milk with his brother and father in their dairy business, but came to love the shoe business where he spent 50 years. He owned and operated stores in Ames, IA, Idaho Falls, ID and finally Portland, Oregon. He earned many awards as the best wholesale employee from Acme Boot and International Shoe Co., and annually donated hundreds of pairs of shoes to needy students identified by local teachers. Andy was an amateur magician, a tournament card player (Bridge and poker) and owned Greyhound racing dogs including "Silvia Banning" who won races on many tracks across the US. He enjoyed lake and ocean boating (boating to Vancouver Isle many times), travel cruises, Las Vegas and fishing. He was also an avid flyer of radio-controlled airplanes. Andy married his childhood sweetheart Ina Joyce Sprouse in 1946 for 20 years. They had four sons Bill Curtis and Pam of Colorado Springs, CO, Gary Curtis and Nedra of Richfield, UT, Bob Curtis and Robyn of South Jordan, UT, and George Curtis and Wendy of Salt Lake City, UT. He married Joann O'Brien who worked with him at his Portland shoe store and is a big part of its success. Joann has two children from a former marriage. Bob (Karen) Templeton and Brenda (Jim) Sharmin. Survivors include his sister, Hellen Nypower and family of West Jordan, UT, Aunt Mary Dillon and family of Salt Lake, and 54 grand and great-grandchildren. His brother George and grandson David Curtis preceded him in death. Andy loved life and lived it fully. He loved his calling as the LDS High-Priest Secretary in the Vancouver 1st Ward, his Greek and German heritage, and making those around him laugh. He will be greatly missed, by all that were fortunate to know and love him. Thank-You to Dr. Mann and the nurses at Kaiser Hospital for their support and care. In lieu of flowers, please donate to the Ray Hickey Hospice House, Vancouver, WA. Graveside service will be held Thursday, 12 noon, Oct. 9, at Mt. Olivet Cemetery 1342 E. 500 South. Directors Neil O'Donnell & Sons.

My Grandpa Curtis was the greatest grandpa for several reasons, but I loved him most for the way he made me laugh. Some of you know what I am referring to when I speak of "curtis humor." That's my grandpa! He was hilarious and when I wasn't laughing too hard myself, I loved hearing him laugh-yes, he would always laugh at his own jokes! He was quite the entertainer and if he wasn't telling jokes, he was getting the crowd going with his sweet magic tricks. I'm not talking about lame flowers and scarfs. No, he was as quick as they come and did some awesome things with cards. Speaking of cards, meet the man that taught me how to play poker at the age of 8! I will miss him so much and am so happy to have had him in my life.
Here are some pictures taken at Mount Olivet where the burial service took place:

I know this isn't a great pic of me, but how cute is my nephew Kaleb?!My dad and his brothers George, Gary and Bill.Roman was so happy to run around this beautiful cemetary, even if it was a bit cold!Capri and her favorite friend on the trip, my sister Cheri.Me and my sweet boy!

7 comments:

Tyler and Erika Hanks said...

So sorry to hear about your grandpa! He sounds like a great man. By the way, you look like Jackie Kennedy in that stunning black suit dress! Where do you shop these days! So classy!

Ben and Natalie said...

I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you have some great memories that I am sure you will carry with you and pass on to your little ones.

dave&abby johnson family said...

I am sorry to hear about your grandpa! Sounds like he was a wonderful man. Tell your family they are in our prayers!

Lana said...

our Grandpa was a great man. We did have some fun times with him. He loved to do card tricks and just make people laugh. I will never forget his loud laugh hahahahah cute blog love ya

Let the Good Times Roll said...

Sorry to hear about your grandpa. Sounds like a neat man.

Mari Burgess said...

I'm so sorry...Hey, how far are you from Newport? I will be there all next week, right on the beach. If you're near I'd love to see you, maybe have you guys over for dinner...Jim might come wednesday to take the kids to Disneyland, otherwise just a bunch of my female family members!! I would love to see you, love to meet the twins...let me know.

The Paulks said...

So sorry to hear about your grandpa... :(

Of course we want to hang out at Christmas!!! We can't wait to see you guys!