Tuesday, September 30, 2008

To fly or not to fly...

Just as Tucker and I were getting up last Sunday, we heard the loud buzzing of a small plane. Both of us knew the plane was flying much too low as it was much louder than anything we had heard before. As we headed to church that morning our street was blocked off with policeman and flares. Sure enough, the plane we had heard had crashed into the hillside less than 500 yards from our home and the pilot died. The fog was extremely thick that morning and they think he simply got lost trying to find the nearby airport. The news crews were there all day and one interviewed Tucker. Take a look at http://video.nbcsandiego.com/player/?id=707081

So, the question remains, should I allow Tucker to become a pilot? As I mentioned earlier, I told him he could go ahead and start on his ground school which he loves, but now I am rethinking my decision. Is this a sign? Please take a vote on the poll to the right. Thank you!

For some pictures and details about my fabulous weekend with the girls-much lighter material- stay tuned!

4 comments:

Afton McFee said...

So this is my two cents...my dad is a helicopter pilot when he is not doing is full time job as Dr. Ward DDS. He has been flying for about 30 years and loves it. but over the years we have seen many of his fellow pilots crash and not survive. The industry is changing and my dad finds himself getting out of aviation due to the rising cost of fuel, insurance, and all the other costs of flying. in his opinion, "its not fun anymore". So my opinion is to not go into the industry. but if tucker is really serious about flying my dad has a lot of connections in the aviation industry maybe he could lead him in the right direction . keep us posted!!

Maquel said...

So, call me a wuss, but small planes have always scared me. Not that I doubt Tucker's abilities--it's just not worth the risk in my opinion. On the other hand, most people do at least one hobby that is kind of risky. You still need to have fun, right? I'm just glad Clark isn't interested in flying planes.

Let the Good Times Roll said...

Oh my goodness that is so sad. My vote is no, sorry Tucker!

Jen said...

That is classic that Tucker was on the news. I love it. You know my vote. I watched one of those "50 Celebrity Near-Death Experiences" on VH1 or MTV and I would say well over half of the instances involved small planes. And hello, they just found the plane of that well experience pilot that crashed in the rugged terrain of the Sierra Nevadas. Scary to me. That's my opinion . . .but you asked!