Sunday, January 19, 2014

Kindergarten Graduation for Roman and Capri

This was a darling kindergarten graduation...that ended up giving me a laugh attack. First things first, let's talk about the program. The students were required to write a report on a morphed animal they created. Basically, they had to pick two animals from different animal classes and morph them together. They had to learn all about each class, whether it was warm or cold blooded, if it had fur, if it laid eggs or gave live birth, etc. My kids were really into this unit so they were thrilled to have such a project.
For graduation, they were to dress up as said morphed animal. Capri wanted to be a leopard/butterfly or butterward. Roman was a gorilla/alligator or gorillagator. Each came up with those totally on their own...pretty creative if you ask me. Once they came up with their animal, they wrote up some facts and memorized them for the graduation. They all wore pins that said "Push Me" so that all of us visitors would push to hear their report. So dang cute.
The next step was to put together a costume.  Let's just say that me and the sewing machine have never gotten along...ever. That in addition to the fact that Tucker was traveling and I still had my brand new baby, I was going to make this as simple as possible. Capri was going to be easy because we already had the cat ears and tail. All she needed was her black ballet attire coupled with some wings I trimmed with a rainbow boa and she was set.
Roman, on the other hand, was a bit trickier. I decided to make an alligator tail. I bought some cheap fabric and rather than sewing it together, because again, not a fan, I decided to just glue and staple it together. Pathetic, I know. We then added a green shirt to complete the gator side of things. As for the gorilla, I figured I could buy some pieces of fur, adhesive, and a couple of pairs of gloves and just stick the fur right on for gorilla hands and feet...did not go so well...
I hadn't laughed that hard in so long. My mom, dad and I were literally crying we were laughing so hard. Roman's costume looked ridiculous and it didn't help that the fur on his gloves kept coming off. The poor thing, he kept reapplying the fur throughout the entire program. Even my mother-in-law thought I must have had a rough time that week with that sad costume. I really felt bad that we were laughing so hard, but we couldn't stop! Too funny! Overall, a great program and my kids were so dang cute!
Here is Capri the butterword:
And Roman the gorillagator:
The twins with their incredible teacher Mrs. Thayer...

I volunteered in the classroom quite a bit and I loved seeing these two in action. Capri is Miss Super Student. She loves to participate, answer questions, be with her friends, and gets her work done quickly. Roman is Mister Laid Back. He is super smart, but a daydreamer, he loves recess and his friends, and will answer correctly, but only if called upon. It has been really fun to be involved in this aspect of their lives. I just can't believe the year is already over!
I love my twins. I love that they are always there for each other and are the best of friends. I was nervous to put them into the same class for kindergarten, but Mrs. Thayer said they did so well that she would recommend them to stay together for at least 1st grade...makes me so happy!

No comments: