Saturday, January 18, 2014

Karoline goes in for surgery

The week of Capri's recital was crazy with class pictures, her dress rehearsal, lots of curlers and gel, and then the main event. With a one month old in tow, and Tucker out of town, it was enough to make for complete chaos. However, that wasn't all that happened that week. We decided that Karoline was in dire need of getting her tonsils and adenoids out. She had been snoring like an old man and it was causing her to wake up constantly throughout the night. When she kept falling asleep in the most random places (like the hardwood floor) I knew I had to take her in.
The doctor took one look at her and said her tonsils were way too big and needed to come out. And of course it ended up being that week!
I took her in and I was already feeling bad for her. She wasn't able to eat anything and I am sure she was nervous. Karoline acts so brave and sometimes I would rather have her just cry instead of feeling like she had to be brave. Once we got there she got her gown and cozy socks on. They had toys to play with which really helped keep her mind off of the surgery.

We spent a lot of time waiting, talking to the nurses and doctor, and then it was finally time. I brought her in the operating room and laid her on the table. I hated it. I knew she was so scared but was trying so hard to not cry. I was ready to lose it but I knew I couldn't make it worse for her and start crying myself! As soon as they put her under, I ran out to compose myself. I was so glad my mom was there with Clara. I wouldn't have been able to get through all of that without her!
The actual surgery went quick. It turns out that her adenoids were also ridiculously large so it was really good we got it taken care of. They brought me in to see her just as she was about to wake up. The poor thing. Incredibly groggy and in pain. She started working on a popsicle and was doing surprisingly well. So well, in fact, that we went to Target to load up on more drinks, popsicles, pudding, and jello. My sweet Koko, such a tough little thing.
The next few weeks were rough. She would do great for a few days, and then really struggle with the pain, then get sick from the pain meds. Not fun. Thank goodness, however, Karoline was a champ through it all and it never kept her down for long. That's my Koko!
This slurpee was well deserved!

No comments: