Sunday, October 10, 2010

1st Day of School...

Wow, my kids are in real preschool. South Jordan Montessori to be exact. I was so nervous to send them for various reasons. First, Roman needed to be potty trained. Let's think back to a year ago when I attempted to potty train just Capri. Not going to happen. Roman wanted in on all the sticker and treat action so he decided he would use the potty as well. That lasted on an off until Christmas. We were busy, I was getting a bit lazy, and I decided to go back to diapers. Big mistake. With the addition of Karoline, I never wanted to commit to training him all over again. Then we go to his school orientation and I am reminded that he has to be trained to enroll. I had 2 weeks...and we did it!
The other issue I had with preschool was simply how much time they were going to spend away from home...and me. Four days a week, Monday through Thursday, and three hours each day, 12:30-3:30. That is a lot of time spent without my kiddos. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate my new slot of "twinless time," aka productive time. It's just that I worry about them handling it okay. The last thing I wanted was for my 3 year-olds to be stressed out.
So far so good. They absolutely love their school and everything about it, their teachers, friends and what they are learning. There is no reason not to either. This school is absolutely incredible. One of my dear friend's aunts run the program out of her home. Just the setting is perfect with all of the workspace, kitchen, and outdoor areas including playgrounds, sand box, trampoline and even a chicken coop! That is Roman and Capri's favorite part, they get to check for eggs everyday.
Because it is a true montessori program, each child works at their own pace, individually or with a teacher, as they complete their "works." There are several "works" in each area of learning, social studies, mathematics, reading, writing, science, art, etc. Once the child has been given a one-on-one lesson on the new work, they attempt to complete it. I am so grateful for this set-up because I know it's just what they need at their age to not only learn in the best possible setting, but to gain a sense of accomplishment and confidence. There are plenty of social aspects to the program as well with rug time and recess. Perfect for my kids!
Here they are all ready for their first day:


Can you sense their excitement!

3 comments:

Susie said...

Precious little children!! Love them soooo much!!

ashley g. said...

They are so BIG! I bet that you are loving this- it sounds like they sure do!

Mom of three ♥ said...

Looks like they were very excited to go! So cute!