Saturday, April 12, 2014

Karoline's Preschool Talent Show

I have never laughed so hard. This talent show was more entertaining than any other talent show there ever was! But let's not get ahead of ourselves, we need to start from the beginning.
Karoline came home with a special note talking about an upcoming talent show to prepare for. It gave several ideas for talents including reciting a poem, doing a dance, telling a joke, singing a song, etc. Karoline wanted to sing a song and when I asked which one, she replied with "Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam. As sweet as it was that she wanted to sing a primary song, I didn't know if it was appropriate for school. I asked if there was any other song she would like to sing. She then said the ABCs. She had known the ABCs for a year and although I didn't think it was very exciting, I didn't want to put the kabosh on a second song choice. Too, it was one less thing I needed to worry about, right?!
So, the day of the show Karoline sang for me just to make sure she wasn't going to do anything silly. She sang it perfectly so away we went. When we arrived, one of her classmates was all dressed up in a butterfly costume. London was not happy about the fact that Georgie was dressed up and she wasn't. She was crying and upset and came to sit with her mom. When it was time to sing a song with the whole class to start the show, Karoline decided to be sad as well. At this point, I didn't think Koko would even go up. She wouldn't leave my lap and kept telling me she didn't want to do anything.
The show started with Georgie, all dressed up, performing a tap dance that she choreographed...very impressive. Some others sang and others told jokes. Then it was Karoline's turn. To my complete surprise, as soon as her name was called, she went right up. She took the microphone and said, "My name is Karoline and I am going to sing the ABCs." I couldn't believe it! She was going to do it!
She began..."A b c d e f g" but then went all over the place..."h i j k..h g s f" and some other random letters. Oh dear. That was not the ABCs. She ended abruptly, got her treat, and came and sat down with a big smile on her face. I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. Cheri and I both had tears streaming down our faces! Her teacher must have felt bad because she turned to me and said, "She did it perfectly earlier today!" So great.
Then it was London's turn. We had finally gotten control of ourselves. London wasn't going to get up either so again we were surprised when she walked right up as her name was called (it must have been those treats!). Cheri had practiced and practiced with her (note the difference with my prep of a 3rd of 4 children vs. Cheri's prep of her only child!) and London was to sing "Up On the House Top" with actions and everything. So, London goes up and takes the microphone. "I am London Ford and I am going to tell a joke." What? Cheri was confused and after London told the joke, something about a baby crossing the road, we were all confused! She got her treat and ran back to her seat. I asked her why she didn't sing and if she would. She ran right back up and started to sing. London must have been confused with Cheri's first action, however, because she started singing the "Popcorn Popping" song. What was even more funny, was she only sang about 2 lines and then started singing her own song about loving Jesus. The tears started streaming again. Annelise, Cheri and I had aching stomachs after that! I bet all of the parents and teachers were wondering how we could possibly be laughing at our kids, but it was that funny!
Such a great show and one that I will never forget!
Here she is and I really was so proud of her...

No comments: