Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Roman's new room...


Mommy: "Roman, where do you sleep?"
Roman: "In my airplane room!"
That's right, Roman now has his very own airplane room. We have finally made the transition and the twins are now separated. Sniff, sniff. I was very hesitant to split them up considering how much they love being together. They play, talk, make each other laugh, read books, get into trouble, and just like having one another there in their room. I bet I have more video footage of the twins in their cribs or beds than any other place. How could I take that away from them?
Well, it started when we put the girls' room together and Capri fell in love with her new "green room." While we had the toddler beds set up in Roman's room, I decided to make up her twin bed in the new room just to get an idea of where to place furniture. She then decided that she wanted to sleep in her new bed and I decided there was no harm in letting her try, though I thought for sure she would chicken out and want to sleep with Roman. At the time, we had a gate on Roman's room door so that the twins couldn't get out when they were supposed to be down for a nap or bedtime. So there is Roman, sitting on the floor and hanging onto the gate while asking for "Mommy, Daddy." Then there is Capri, sitting in her bed with the door open talking to Roman, trying to console him. "It's ok Roman. Mommy will be back. Do you want her to come hold you? It's ok. She will come." Lastly there is me, crying on the stairs below. Needless to say, I wasn't ready for that and thank goodness, Capri was just fine with moving back in with Roman.
Months have passed and we knew it was time to give the separation another try. Wow. I am amazed. We haven't had a single hiccup! I was just talking to a friend of mine about how we resist change so much and yet kids can adapt so easily. This was no exception. Capri loves being in her girly room with her baby sister Karoline (and vice versa) and Roman loves being in his airplane room that is everything boy. Why wouldn't he? Just look at this great room...
Right as you walk in:Tucker's fascination with planes definitely helped as he was able to identify every plane that was placed in the room:
Roman's desk:
The opposite side of the room (and check out the hanging pictures, one of Roman and his Daddy, and one of Roman at age 1, dressed with an aviator hat and scarf):
Even the curtain rods have airplanes on them!
This has been a major undertaking. The painting and paneling was done in February, but just this past month we refinished all of the furniture. It turned out great and I couldn't be happier-thank you to the best handyman, my husband!
We also added a few new things to the Capri and Karoline's room. We hung a new favorite picture of the two above the rocker:
We also added a few "ballerina" touches throughout:

The ballerina's bed:
There are few things I enjoy doing more than decorating my home so I am kind of sad that we are done. I guess I will have to find a new project soon!

2 comments:

Mom of three ♥ said...

I love their rooms! When we were at your house for Cheri's baby shower we went up and snuck a peek and fell in love with the rooms, you guys did such a great job with them!

Tyler and Erika Hanks said...

LOVE IT!!! I am trying to decide about doing Carson's big boy room either planes, sports or trains...can't decide! good thing I have plenty of time!