Sunday, December 12, 2010

Thanksgiving Day

We had such a great Thanksgiving this year. Waking up with my little family to watch the Macy's Day Parade was the perfect way to start the day. My kids loved it just as much as I did growing up and for that, I was thrilled. The rest of the day involved my entire family as well as some of my mom's family so there were quite a few of us. Rather than stressing about cooking for 40 people the day of, my mom and I did a lot of the work the day before and it was well worth it. Who knew you could make mashed potatoes the day before and have them turn out absolutely scrumptious?! I really enjoyed working with my mom in preparing our Thanksgiving feast. I loved feeling like I actually belonged in the kitchen and that I could contribute something. I even found a recipe for and made THE BEST candied yams you have ever had...I am craving some right now. We also had my mother-in-law's delicious stuffing (I have to make it every year now, nothing else will do), green beans, butternut squash, orange rolls (these are a tradition and are absolutely my favorite Thanksgiving dessert), plenty of pie, and of course, the turkey! YUMMY! As great as the food was, however, my favorite thing about Thanksgiving is being with my family.
We got a few pictures of us before the rush of the afternoon started...
Roman and Capri love their Uncle Richard, but who wouldn't love someone that throws you up into the air?Our best of many attempts:I remember growing up and being so excited for Thanksgiving, like almost as excited as I was for Christmas. It meant that all of my cousins would be together, we would have lots of game playing, puzzle time, Christmas movies to watch, and hours of talking. This year was a bit different in that we added an intense competition to the mix. Yes, we held our first annual Thanksgiving Day Extravaganza Talent Show! I know, awesome title. I was a bit skeptical of Cheri's idea to put something like this together, but it was simply the greatest and everyone had such a good time participating and watching.
Funny story. My family doesn't have many talents. So, we decided to make fools of ourselves by dancing. All of us, parents included, "dancing through the decades." My parents started with the 60's "Twist and Shout" and they were shaking it up with the mashed potato, the pony, and of course, the twist. My brother Rob then came out with his insanely good robot that he has held on to since high school. Nothing like the robot danced to Michael Jackson's "Billy Jean." The grandkids were up next with disco fever in "Staying Alive," but they chickened out so Cheri and I had to step in...we didn't mind, I knew that dance from jr. high dance co. would come in handy sometime! Cheri, Jesse and I then came running in to the infamous "Whoomp There It Is." Our routine was pretty fab including the running man, the roger rabbit, the cabbage patch and many other sweet moves. However, nothing, I repeat, nothing, could have prepared everyone for the last number. It was a solo. Done by my little brother Richard. To Beyonce. "All the Single Ladies." He. Was. Awesome. Wearing a black tank and black biker shorts, Richard rocked out recreating this incredible piece of music and choreography.
Check us out!



Here is to the start of the Christmas Season!

3 comments:

Mom of three ♥ said...

Haha, that video was hilarious! You guys are awesome!

Lana said...

I love the picture and video.

Nicole M said...

Ok. That dancing talent show...my FAVORITE!!! That is so fun!! I loved watching it.