Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Roman at age 5



Roman is my sweet, happy, boy. I would love to say that he is a momma's boy, but he loves his daddy beyond measure and is happiest when his daddy is home. Still, I can't help but steal hugs and kisses whenever I can and cuddle him as much as I possibly can. I love that Roman
Roman continues to amaze me with his mad swimming skills. He swims the dolphin all the way down the length of the pool and back without his teacher even nearby. He is making huge progress in his breathing as well and has integrated his breathing into freestyle and dolphin strokes. The diving board is his favorite and he now flips right off! All of this done with a permanent smile on his face. So proud to be his mom!
Roman has almost completed his speech therapy and I am so excited for him! He has always been such a social kid, but when he realized that he wasn't being understood by his buddies, it was hard for him and heartbreaking for me. Now that his speech has reached that of his friends and classmates, he has become the super social Roman he was before. His speech therapist is thrilled with his progress as well. She feels he won't need her much longer and is more than ready for kindergarten.
Roman's favorite game is "get you" with his dad. It is played by Tucker chasing Roman around the house. We get lots of laughs and even some screams during the game.
Roman loves the tramp. Whenever I lost him last summer, I knew to look next door at our neighbor's tramp. Now that we have our own, he has been even more eager to test his jumping skills. I have only lost him to the neighbor's tramp once so far...again with the social thing, he loves being with friends!
Roman doesn't always want to go to school, but once he is there, he thoroughly enjoys himself. His teachers say that he never needs direction on finding a work. He shows up and stays busy the entire 3 hours. His favorite song as of late is the Continents song-he can name and find every continent now! He loves the science, practical life, math, and puzzle works, but has also started reading.
Roman is thrilled to be reading but I am even more thrilled. He has picked it up so quickly and seems so confident when he is breezing through his Bob books. It puts a big smile on my face.
There is nothing better than hearing Roman laugh and fortunately he laughs a lot. He laughs as he plays, chases, as he is being chased, and when he is with his friends or family. One of his favorite "jokes" is telling me how much he loves me. We had read "Guess How Much I Love You" and all of us loved spreading our hands out as far as possible and started using the phrase, "I love you..." and making up the ending. Roman and Capri have both used, "to the sun," "to the moon," and "to the stars," but then started using numbers. "I love you to 100 47 10, Mom." Love those numbers! Anyway, Roman would then be funny by saying or showing with his hands that he loved me zero. That was my queue to pretend to cry and be sad and Roman thought that was hilarious. It got even better when I forced Roman to open his arms out wide to show he loved me lots-laughing, laughing, and more laughing. Funny kid.
Roman and Capri sing "I am Trying to be Like Jesus." As my sister-in-law Tiffany would say, celestial moment.
Roman loves anything superhero, especially Batman and Spiderman, pirates, airplane/jet/rocket, racecar, Kung Fu Panda, and guns. So far he wants to be a jet pilot when he grows up and his daddy couldn't be happier. Just recently he has been introduced to Star Wars and thinks his light saber is about the coolest thing ever. A boy times ten.
Other interests include anything with a screen. Computer games (PBS and Disney are his favorites), iPhone/iPad apps and games, and the Wii would fill this boys day if we let them. Hence, we have no Wii or iPad and we have had to lock up the computer because he knows how to get online and get to disney.com and pbskids.com. I may be in trouble.
Thank goodness I have Roman, my go-with-the-flow boy. It is so wonderful to have Roman so willing to be as easy-going as he is, especially with two sisters! He is the best big brother to both Capri and Karoline. He loves playing with Capri so much that he will do just about anything she starts. Every once in a while I have to step in and let Capri know that she can't force him to play with her every moment of every day!
He is just as sweet with Karoline. Just the other day, I came to pick the kids up from the childcare at my gym and Roman was literally carrying her up each ledge to get to the top of the slide. Such a sweet and caring boy.
This boy loves to dance. He tears it up when playing Just Dance 2 and is seriously good. Roman has loved music since he was a newborn and now he can get his body to move to its rhythms. He also turns on the demo songs on our piano for something to groove to-the jazz is his favorite.
Roman is now at the age where he insists on being called "cool," not handsome. Check.
Roman doesn't paint nearly as much as Capri in school, but when he does participate in creating an art piece, he does amazingly well for a 5 year-old. He is so particular and every color is seems to be thought out. He is also very careful to stay in the lines...almost perfectionist like. He also loves to write his name and find the letters of his name in other written words.
I love finding Roman in his own world with his imagination moving a million miles an hour. It's not very often anymore, but I still catch him daydreaming or playing with his toys on his own and you know he has created something spectacular in that head of his.
I love my boy. I love his big blue eyes and his killer eye lashes. I love his determination. I love that he still likes to have his back scratched at night. I love his hugs and kisses. I love that he works hard. I love his fabulous thick and curly hair. I love his sensitivity. I love his bravery. I love that he is full of life and wants to have fun. I love his desire to be just like his daddy. I am so grateful for my sweet Roman boy and I love him to the sun.
On his actual birthday in Cabo San Lucas

No comments: