Sunday, January 1, 2012

Roman is a Rockstar!

A Rockstar Swimmer that is! I can't believe how he has progressed in such a short time. In less than a year, Roman has gone from being afraid to float to swimming on his own. In his last class of the session in December, he completely shocked me when he was asked to race his teacher across the pool. He has been able to swim the length of the pool for some time now, but he stops to take breathing breaks on his back after 3 or 4 strokes. Lately, his teachers have him practicing breathing while swimming (turning your head, laying your head on your arm, and breathing while keeping your legs kicking), but they have always been holding him. Here is a video showing just that.
So to go from that to actually swimming was nothing short of amazing! His teacher asked Roman to race him to the stairs and Roman was all over it. He would swim for a few strokes, turn his head up out of the water to breathe, and then keep swimming. Keep in mind too that his teacher was swimming right along the side of him, not guiding him or acting available to help at all. Roman got to the stairs with the biggest grin on his face and told his teacher, "I beat you! You almost beat me, but I beat you!" I was dying. Such a stud. Sadly to say, I didn't get it on video. This tortures me except that I know he will do it again!
Here is another video of Roman jumping off the diving board- still his favorite thing!

No comments: