Thursday, October 27, 2011

TriathaMom-My first Tri

I did it! I actually completed a triathlon and can call myself a triathlete. I had to work hard and overcome some fears to accomplish this goal so I am pretty excited to say the least. I am so lucky to have had the support system I did to keep me going...there were definitely some rough patches along the way in my training... so thank you to all, especially my family.
Let's start with rough patch number one, the swim. I knew how to swim, I had grown up taking lessons every year until I was certified in life saving...twice. So of course I thought I had it down. Wrong. That first day in the water was brutal and I almost threw up shortly after. Cheri did her best in giving me pointers and encouraging me, but I was feeling defeated already. That being said, I kept at it and I was happy to see those laps getting easier and easier within a few weeks.
Rough patch number two, meet the road bike. I had always been comfortable on a bike. I remember taking long bike rides with my friend Jessica. We would attempt Millcreek Canyon (I doubt we got too far), ride along Wasatch Blvd, or even bike down to the Swim and Tennis Club. I loved the bike. That is until I grew up and realized there was a potential danger with those dang cars. I do not like riding with cars even remotely close to me. This was going to be an issue in training so I knew I had to face my fears and saddle up. My first ride included my dad right in front of me and Tucker right behind. I felt safe that way and so we did a few more just like it. I soon started riding the 12-mile course of the race and tried not to freak out every time a car passed by as I was speeding down 11800th near Bacchus Highway. I was still nervous, however, and Tucker knew what to do. He bought me a bike. A great bike without clip-ins (hate those things too!) that I could learn to rely on. It worked and by race time I was ready to go.
The day of the triathlon started before the sun came up. It was cold and I was nervous. I was so glad to have some of my family there (Cheri and Cody organized the race) as well as two friends from my ward. Us three girls set up our transition area and did our best to keep warm and calm. When it was time to start, we stripped down to our trisuits and headed into the pool area.
Brooke Sanderson, Kate Dickman and I ready to head out
It was packed! There were 400 women nervous but eager to get started. I was so glad I wasn't the only anxious one. I finally got in and started with freestyle. I kept that up the entire time except for the holding times waiting for those in front to get going. It was frustrating getting stuck and it was so hard to pass, so I finished with a pretty slow time of 9:55.
Jump out of the pool and run as fast as your legs will carry you to transition area. I took just over 2 1/2 minutes in t1 and was off again on the bike. I was so happy to bike with my friend Kate up towards Bacchus. We had so much fun and were riding faster than ever. I loved listening to Kate cheer everyone on as we passed them, and we passed quite a few! I hadn't That is until I got passed by Kate. I had passed her on the way up the hill but she passed me on the way down. Unfortunately I am also afraid of going too fast downhill. I know, I am a wuss! I was thrilled that there was hardly any traffic to worry about and that I got my fastest time coming in at 41:43.
I dismounted, racked my bike, grabbed my iPhone and spent a total of 1:43 in t2.
Hooray! I had 2 events down and 1 to go and this was the event I was most comfortable with. It was going to be easy, right? Not so much. I think that first mile was the hardest part of the entire tri. My legs felt like lead and yet like jello. They were not working! Thank goodness I was back to normal within 10 minutes or so and finished the 5k strong. I cannot tell you how exhilarating it was to run across that finish line. I almost started to cry when I knew I had made it and had my whole family there cheering me on. I was on cloud nine and so was everyone else at the finish-such an incredible feeling!
I timed in at 28:12 (9:06 pace) for the run and the complete event at 1:24. I ranked 13th in my age division and in the top 70 overall (it really helps that this was an all women, non-competitive event!). I couldn't believe it and I knew right then that I had to do another tri. I can't wait to compete in the Daybreak Triathlon next year. I know the open water swim will be a challenge, but I can't wait to give it a go!
Me and my fans at the park (where we finished the race!)...
Capri wanted to wear my "medal," a necklace that said TriathaMom
Roman and I showing off our muscles!
The best husband ever to bring all of the munchkins to see me finish!
The best mom ever to help out-she watched the kids a lot while I trained!
Kate and I at the carnival-so happy to be done!
Our best attempt at a family picture-it was sunny. ;)
TriathaMom was created for women, especially mothers, of all levels. It was brilliant! You had women of all ages, shapes, some that had done several triathlons, and some this being the first. It was organized by Cheri and Cody's company, USTrisports, and Dani Lassiter (cofounder of Oh Sweet Sadie and organizer of the Goldilocks Ride), and they put on a great race.
The crew-Tyson Brooks, Cheri and Cody
Everyone was happy with how smooth everything went and was thrilled to see the delicious food (we're talking homemade cookies, bagels and cream cheese, and tons of fruit!) carnival at the end. It was perfect for families and they had everything from bounce houses to face painting. Plus, it was at a park which my kids thoroughly enjoyed...
Karoline on the slide-she couldn't get enough of it!
Capri on the monkey bars-I couldn't believe she could do that and think we may have a future triathlete!
Roman giving me the thumbs up-thanks bud!

No comments: