Sunday, October 2, 2011

Training and the Provo River Half

I love racing season! I love that racing season is now over! Seriously though, I had such a fun season including 2 10ks, 2 halfs, and my first triathlon (more on that later!). What makes these races so incredibly awesome is that I have a husband and a family that do it with me. We work hard but we play hard along the way! I already posted about the Earth Day 10k and the first half-marathon Tucker and I raced of the season, so here is the rest of the our running adventures...
Deseret News 10k on the 24th of July-one of my very favorites! Why? It's all downhill of course! Too, the last mile is lined with parade goers that have camped all night-awesome people watching and great support. :) We saw lots of friends racing that day which makes it even better.
Our group included my dad, Cody's brother Ben, Cody, Jon, me, and Tucker. Tucker ran the whole way with me and I was so glad he did. We had so much fun along the way chatting and laughing, and still we finished in 54 minutes. I was pleased.
I was so happy to have talked my friend Nicole into doing this race-her first ever! I wish we would have gotten a good picture, but thank you Nicole for taking this one:
My brothers are the best...truly. Jon has been a great running buddy ever since he got home from his mission and I could usually persuade him to come out with me. Richard would join us whenever he could spare some time from work during the day. One Saturday, all of us including Robert went out and had an awesome run around the lake-5 miles in the heat wasn't so bad that day with these guys to entertain me.Tucker and I were excited to run the South Valley Half in August, a race Cody's company organized. I decided, however, that I would be a better volunteer than a participant for that one and Tucker and I chose to run the Provo River Half the week prior instead. Tucker ended up running both and actually loved the South Valley Half-they gave out cold washcloths along the way for heaven's sake!-but the Provo River Half was a fabulous run as well.
It starts up South Fork Canyon, connects to the Provo River Trail, passes by Bridal Veil Falls, back tracks for a mile and a half past Bridal Veil Falls, then turns back down and you finish at the Riverwoods. Other than the uphill portion that came with a wicked headwind, it was an awesome course and we felt great throughout the race. I was determined to finish in under 2 hours and so when I saw the clock quickly approaching our deadline, I bolted to the finish line. I was thrilled we had done it in that time and we weren't even sore the next day-doesn't get much better than that! Here we are after our big finish:
It has become a tradition in our family to follow any race with a trip to Kneaders for their insanely good french toast. It's the only time you can justify eating even a single piece of that heaven!
As soon as I finished this last running race, I had a month to train for my first ever triathlon...

1 comment:

Nicole M said...

Oh my gosh Alysha, that picture of you and your brothers is PRICELESS!! I miss the Curtis fam. Love you all. What a fun racing season you've had! Seriously, the 2 races I did this summer were an absolute BLAST and I owe it all to you. I honestly would have not had the desire to race at all if you hadn't talked me into it ;) You made it sound fun, and it was! I have a group picture of you and Tucker and Weston and I that I need to send you...sorry if I forgot to do that before!