Tuesday, September 15, 2009

In case you haven't heard...

I am pregnant! Baby #3 is on his/her way (and yes, it's just one!) and is due March 11th, 2010. I am 15 weeks along and feeling great. We are so excited to be adding to our family and know that Roman and Capri will be great with this new little one.

Some of you may be curious on how we got pregnant. Ok, not exactly how, but more how difficult it was this time around. With the twins, we spent a year trying to get pregnant before we went on a fertility drug Chlomid. I got pregnant after my first round, but miscarried at 6 weeks. We were devastated. It was hard enough to go through month after month and be let down knowing we we would have to continue to wait. At that point, I seriously thought I wasn't meant to carry my own child. With the help and support of my family, I shook it off and was starting another round of chlomid less than 2 months later. Hooray! We were pregnant and with two. We couldn't have been happier and were thrilled to know we had a boy and girl on their way.

When we decided we were ready to get pregnant again, Tucker was not comfortable with the fertility drugs route again (you can only imagine the scare of triplets or quads), so we decided we better get going to give us some time to get pregnant. Well, we got pregnant our first month of trying and could not believe it! I will never forget when I was complaining to my mom about some serious heartburn I had experienced the night before. She responded with, "Could you be pregnant?" The thought hadn't even entered my mind! How could I be pregnant already?
We finally took a pregnancy test simply because I was late and we were headed out on the boat that day. I really needed to know if I could wakeboard or not (ok, so I did still wakeboard, but I was taking it easy)! I don't think Tucker or I could have expected that positive result. We were absolutely shocked and were excited, yet still very anxious.

As you have read in a previous post, my sister Cheri lost her baby after carrying him for over 5 months. He developed anencephaly and would not survive. It was heartbreaking to see what my sister and her husband had to go through in delivering this beautiful baby boy that was stillborn. Thus, I not only had the fear of something going wrong with my pregnancy, but I feared having to tell my sister that I was going to be having a baby. She is my very best friend and obviously more than that as a sister and I couldn't bear to hurt her with such news. Needless to say, we decided to wait to say anything until we had confirmed our results with the doctor at my 10 week appointment.

I was nervous to go into the doctor's office, which was really unlike me. I knew I should have been excited to see the ultrasound and our precious baby, but I couldn't shake the anxiety. However, as soon as we saw a healthy baby on the monitor (and just one-Tucker was convinced I was having twins again!), Tucker and I both were not only extremely relieved, but so much more excited. A healthy baby was on their way and we could finally breathe. I still had to tell my sister, but I was relieved again because she responded so positively and with genuine excitement. I am so lucky to have a sister like that!

Ever since, we have gotten more and more excited about baby #3. A lot of people thought we were crazy to think we could handle a third child so soon after the twins. We heard lots of comments stating that we should wait and I can see where they are coming from-three kids ages three and under is a bit much! That being said, I know that not only can we do it, this is definitely going to be the best thing for our family. I am excited to have our kids closer together so that they can be buddies growing up together. Roman and Capri are getting to be easier to manage and actually somewhat willing to entertain themselves for a bit. It will also be nice to have them potty trained so I won't have to worry about three kids in diapers-more on that later!

As far as my pregnancy so far, I was definitely my normal exhausted pregnant self for that first 13 weeks. I even took naps-something I never do! Something I had to deal with this pregnancy was the ridiculous indigestion, bloating (I swear I looked 5 months pregnant at 8 weeks!) and constipation. Sorry, that sounds disgusting, but I had to complain! I quickly learned a few things. First, stop eating so much! I would be sick to my stomach by the end of the day if I didn't really cut down on what I ate. Next, as crappy as I felt each morning, I had to force myself to work out. I had been running quite a bit to train for the 10k when I was 8 weeks along, but dropped my long runs for some kick-boxing at home instead after the race. If I could gut through that, I would feel so much better the rest of the day. Lastly, don't complain! Tucker still got an earful, I'm sure, but I tried to put on a happy face because it really doesn't help to have a dumpy attitude drag you down feeling even worse. Granted, there are a lot of you out there that absolutely deserve whatever attitude you choose! Keep in mind that I have never even thrown up while pregnant so I really don't get that sick at all.

A couple of weeks ago, I started to feel so much better. More energy, the citrucel is finally working, and I just keep the tums handy. We had another appointment last week and got to hear the heartbeat and it was at a slower 150 beats/minute. As far as the old wive's tale goes, that means we are having a boy. Tucker and I would love a boy, and maybe that's why we have been thinking so much of boy names, but would obviously be happy with either! Can't wait until our next appointment in 3 weeks to find out-and of course I will keep you posted!

14 comments:

Entirely Eventful Day said...

CONGRATULATIONS! LOVE YOU!

Tyler and Erika Hanks said...

Glad the exciting news is out!!! I can't wait ti hear if it is a boy or girl...my vote is boy after the pencil..haha! Congrats!

kristinandbrandt said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you and your family!!

DeAnne said...

CONGRATS!!! We're so exited for you and can't wait to hear what you're having. Thanks for letting us know...We love and miss you guys.

Our best to you all!

You have a beautiful little family.

DeAnne said...

CONGRATS!!! We're so exited for you and can't wait to hear what you're having. Thanks for letting us know...We love and miss you guys.

Our best to you all!

You have a beautiful little family.

Joy said...

Congratulations! Trust me, you did NOT look pregnant at your shoot. I am super excited for you guys! Roman and Capri are going to be fabulous siblings.
I am starting on your pictures in the next few days, I have Capri in my header if you want to check her out. :)

Danielle said...

So exciting! What a darling family you guys have!!

mj said...

That's great! Can't wait!!

Mom of three ♥ said...

So excited for you! Lance is the same way with trying fertility again when we try for another ( which won't be till our kids are the age your kids are now) He is freaked that we would end up with triplets or more! I would hope that I get pregnant on my own really next time, but we will just have to wait and see on that one. It will be so exciting to hear what your having. Derek and Britt find out soon what they are having as well and we can't wait!

Nicole M said...

I love it I love it I love it! It's been so fun to talk to you about your pregnancy! I'm still so excited for you!!

Natalie said...

Alysha that is SO exciting! Congrats!!! So when I saw you at the mall a little while ago did you know yet? Cause you certainly did NOT look pregnant!!! If you get a chance would you mind sending me your e-mail? I've got a couple questions that maybe you could help with - natalieawhitney(at)hotmail(dot)com. :)

Lisa said...

Congratulations Alysha! Having 3 kids ages 3 and under isn't so bad. : ) Granted, I don't have twins, but you can do it! I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well.

Let the Good Times Roll said...

Congrats guys, that is very exciting. Also, Alysha I wanted to tell you that I saw your family pictures on Joy's blog, and they turned out amazing, you have such a beautiful family, and NO you don't have a baby bump, LOL! :)

Maquel said...

Yay! Congrats! That is so exciting that you got pregnany on your own. That gives me hope for myself and Clark in the very far distant future.