Thursday, September 27, 2012

1st Day as a Daybreak Dolphin

My twins are in kindergarten now and I can't get over it. They are in Ms. Thayer's afternoon class and they love it. I guess I do too. To know that they already have lots of little friends, they love their teacher, and they are learning faster than I thought possible, how can I not love it? Roman and Capri are happy kids to go to school and they are happy kids when I pick them up. Except that they are desperate to walk home on their own...maybe next year.
We got them all ready to go on their first day back in August. I have to mention the backpacks. We had ordered some but they hadn't been mailed yet. Roman used his old backpack and Capri used a little tote bag. Karoline then INSISTED she had a backpack. Hence, the monkey backpack. She wears it frequently now to be just like her big brother and sister. She also insisted on being in their picture...
Look at my kindergarteners! So grown up!
Just a quick wrap-up of the first month in school.
*Take home books each day to read and pass off the next day. Love that my kids are reading!
*Weekly homework packets to practice writing and math-they are supposed to complete a page a day M-Th, but my kids usually do it all in a day, two if there is something terribly interesting to break them away.
*Every Monday I go in to help the teacher with homework. My kids are actually excited for me to go with them-how long will that last?
*Tuesdays-Thursdays are center days. Parents come in to help run 6 centers that all share a similar theme, but use different skills or subjects-math, critical thinking, science, writing, etc. I go in every other Wednesday and I had so much fun! These kids are so lucky!!
*Friends have been a big deal lately. We have friends over all the time now, especially since we have been off track. It is as if my kids NEED that social interaction now. It's great though, we love our neighborhood friends, thank goodness. ;)
*Roman is no longer seeing a speech therapist! He met with the school speech therapist and she thought he was doing great. I can't even tell you how happy that makes me!
*I am continually impressed with this school and specifically Ms. Thayer. I was having the hardest time deciding on where to send my kids for kindergarten and I am so relieved knowing I made the right decision. This was definitely the perfect fit for my kids. Yay for Daybreak Dolphins!

No comments: