Saturday, July 2, 2011

Soccer Season is Over...


And I think we are all ok with that! Don't get me wrong, it was a great experience and all, but it definitely wasn't our favorite, especially for Capri. It started with me playing soccer as a substitute for my sister-in-law's team last year. Ever since, Capri and Roman have asked to play. Some of our friends here in the neighborhood were going to play so Roman and Capri joined the team. They couldn't wait to start. They talked about it constantly and wore their shin guards around the house. This was going to be great fun!
Then game their first game. We never had any practices so we just showed up ready to play with the rest of the team, the Bumblebees. I have to admit, seeing them in their uniforms was enough for me. Loved. It. They did a few drills of kicking the ball into the goal and the kids did great. The game was about to start and to see the two of them lined up in their oversized jerseys, numbers 2 and 3, I couldn't have been prouder!
Unfortunately, that didn't last long. Capri was done within 10 minutes. The crowding of the kids was just too much for her and it didn't get any better with games to come. In fact, it got worse to the point that we would have to literally drag her out on the field while holding her hand just so she could get a treat after the game. Not a fan.
Roman was better. He would stay out their game in and game out, but you could definitely say that his heart wasn't in it. At all. No, he was the kids lagging behind in his own little world. He would break out the guns, act like a robot, fly like a plane, or just hang out on the field and try to talk to some of the other kids. Hey, at least he is social! I was just dying because it was as if I was watching my own home videos of me playing soccer when I was a kid. And know that he wasn't the only one without his head in the game. There were plenty of kids doing somersaults, taking breaks and just sitting with their parents, playing games of the non-soccer variety, and just acting like 4 year-olds. Good fun, but I think we will stick with swimming for now!
The team never held practices so they drilled for a bit right before each game by taking turns kicking the ball into the goal. The twins actually really liked this part:
Lining up for their first game. I don't think I could have felt prouder than to see my #2 and #3 out there:
Roman did succeed in getting some kicks in throughout the season and here he is in action:But we also saw a lot of this going on (my silly boy!):
Capri loved the oranges at half-time:
And rather than play soccer, she preferred to run or roll down the surrounding hills (my silly girl!):
Way to go you two! We are so proud of our Bumblebees!

1 comment:

Mom of three ♥ said...

haha, this post made me laugh! We have signed Sawyer up for Soccer for this fall, he is super excited. But we will see when he actually starts how he will like it! :)